Aromatherapy candles have been known to affect our moods and promote well-being through the uses of essential oils which stimulate the senses. Aromatherapy itself is an alternative medicine practice that uses specific botanical oils and essences to help treat common ailments and avoid illness. The candles also follow the basic principles used in aromatherapy to create an aromatherapy candle that has soothing and healing effects.
Because of their convenience, versatility, and decorative nature, there has been an upsurge in the sale of aromatherapy candles over the past few decades. Swan creek candles are one of the top sellers when it comes to candle category. Many use them to enhance the decor of a room as well as to create a specific atmosphere. A really good aromatherapy candle can whisk you away to a relaxing spa environment without ever having to leave the comfort of your own home. The type of benefit you will get from a scented candle will depend on the essential oil used in creating it. Here are some of the more basic, yet popular scents used:
- Lavender aromatherapy candles are at the top of the list as a beneficial scented candle. It soothes and relaxes, is known to alleviate stress, nervous disorders, anxiety, and has been used in treating headaches. Used at night, it can promote sleep in those who may be having difficulty falling asleep.
- Aside from cinnamon being boiled down and used as a candle itself, cinnamon aromatherapy candles have been used to help combat fatigue, calm the nerves, and make one more alert and aware.
- Citrus scents such as lemon, orange, and grapefruit are used to help brighten the mood and invigorate the mind. It has an uplifting, clean scent and has also been used in alleviating stress. Lemon is said to help greatly in enhancing one’s concentration.
- Another old time favorite is Vanilla. The sweet aroma has been reported to work as a natural aphrodisiac. It gives of a soothing, warming scent that can comfort and relax a person.
- Rose aromatherapy candles have been used by women for decades as it is believed to have calming benefits as well as help balance out the hormones.
- Sandalwood is a scent that has been used for centuries by spiritual people the world over. It has been used for meditative purposes because of its ability to calm and relax the nerves and mind. It is also said to lift the effects of depression and soothe feelings of irritableness.
Soy wax has become a popular alternative to paraffin wax in the making of aromatherapy candles. Soy wax is a renewable source and less costly than using beeswax. Aromatherapy soy candles burn slower, making them last longer. They also burn at a much lower temperature than paraffin based aromatherapy candles. This allows the scent to be distributed more evenly rather than giving off a powerful scent all at once. They also burn more cleanly. It has been said that paraffin free candles make for the best aromatherapy candles options out there.
How to make scented candles
The following are steps on how to make your own scented candles.
- Melt the wax in a double boiler.
- Add the desired dyes and fragrances.
- Insert a wick into the mold making sure the wick is held securely in place. You can secure the wick with a tiny bit of wax or you can tie one end of the wick to a stick and suspend the wick above the mold.
- Pour the wax into the mold. Let the wax cool and then trim the wick to the correct length.
Now that you know how to make scented candles, you can experiment to find your favorite combinations of containers and scents