Mention the words “antique lamps” and everyone wants to have one. Not only are they unique, but they also have a way of giving your home that exquisite look that is both elegant and timeless. You can successfully accent the décor of a room by simply using these lamps. They are available in distinct designs as well as shapes such that they suit different tastes and preferences. You can also choose lamps that complement your home furnishing.
How to Determine the Antiquity of the Lamp
In determining whether a lamp can be termed as antique, a lot of things have to be put into consideration.
- The most important is determining its year of manufacture. However, most lamps, just give away their antiqueness just by their physical look. For those that do not, the year of manufacture is engraved somewhere on the lamp.
- For those that have no manufacture year, then there must be markings, graphics, letters, numbers or any other marking that place those lamps in a certain time frame. You can also check the material used and look for scratch marks on the surface of the lamp to determine its antiqueness.
- Antique lamp is sold in antique shops or auctioned. These are some of the places that you can rely on to help you identify the time frame in which that lamp came from. Make sure that you get the lamp from a reputable antique shop or seller to insure its authenticity.
- You can also look for an antique lamp from garage sales. You can surely buy them at very affordable prices from old folks.
- These lamps are of different types like oil lamps and more. Look for lamps that will complement your home design, preferences and personal style.
Types of Antique Lamps
- Antique oil lamps: This type of antique lamp has a base made to hold oil and a wick used for lighting. The most popular antique oil lamp is the oil filled shallow dish, which has either grease or oil and a rag/wick that is partially submerged into the dish. This was mostly used during the biblical to the Victorian period.
- Antique floor lamps: These lamps are used to create the right mood in a room (especially the bedroom). They are a type of torchiere that is a versatile source of lighting. They also come in different shapes fashioned to look like trees and street lights.
- Antique table lamps: These are those lamps that are placed on tables. Not only are they used for illumination, they also enhance ones interior decor thanks to their beautiful designs. The antique lamps have distinct designs that suit different decor themes.
- Antique hurricane lamp: These lamps have bottoms that are made of brass or metal which hold the oil. You can also find some bottoms that are made of glass. Some of them have extra globes at the top made of glass for decorative purposes. They are readily available. However, finding one that can be termed as an antique is a bit tricky.
At the moment, resources that can be termed as reliable for identification of antiques are quite limited. However, there are those few that still hold a wealth of knowledge in identifying lamps that can be termed as antiques. They include antique dealers, appraisers that have relevant knowledge for certain antique lamps and professional antique collectors who have a wide range of experience. An experienced antique lamp professional is in a position to determine the identity, history and true market value for an antique lamp. The expert carefully examines the lamp in order to come up with a conclusion.